File A Complaint
Patients who have a concern, dispute, or complaint about inappropriate treatment or the quality of dental care received should note the following actions they can take to resolve their concerns.
The MDA suggests approaching the dentist to discuss and resolve disputes by taking the following steps:
1. Bring your issue to the attention of the dentist or office manager. They should be able to address your concerns. When you contact the dentist, make sure you are prepared to discuss:
- the involved date-of-service (treatment date)
- dollar amount in dispute (if applicable)
- your issue or complaint with a suggested outcome that is agreeable to you
2. Contact the dentist with your concern before going through other grievance processes, you will likely resolve your issue quickly.
3. If a resolution to the concern is not obtained, as a next resort, patients may file for mediation review through the MDA mediation review process.
The MDA mediation peer review process attempts to help resolve the occasional disagreement about dental treatment. A mediation trained dentist will contact the involved parties and make every attempt to help the patient and dentist reach a mutually satisfactory resolution. If mediation is not successful, the case proceeds to a peer review committee where a panel of dentists will review findings and suggest recommendations for a resolution. This process is non-binding and voluntary and is provided under Mississippi state law code.
To qualify for the mediation process, the dental treatment must have been received within the last twelve months and the complaint must not have been filed with any other entity, mediator, attorney or court. The dentist involved must be an active status member of the Mississippi Dental Association.
Patient mediation is not applicable in situations involving appropriateness of fees, insurance issues, billing disputes, or office policies. If you feel you have been subjected to unfair business practices, please contact the Office of Attorney General State of Mississippi, Mississippi Insurance Department or the Mississippi State Board of Dental Examiners.
Office of Attorney General State of Mississippi
P.O. Box 220
Jackson, MS 39205
Mississippi Insurance Department
P.O. Box 79
Jackson, MS 39205
Telephone: (601) 359-3569
Consumers Statewide Toll Free 800-562-2957
Mississippi State Board of Dental Examiners
600 East Amite Street, Suite 100
Jackson, MS 39201
Telephone: (601) 944-9622
Fax: (601) 944-9624